Frequently Asked Questions
Concession for Personal & Household Effects
Returning Residents or People Assuming Residence in Vanuatu
Who is Eligible?
Concessions for unaccompanied personal effects are available for those who may be taking up residence in Vanuatu for the first time; and
Returning Vanuatu residents after having been absent for at least 12 months in the previous two year period.
When can the personal effects be imported?
For first time residents, the personal and household effects must be imported within 6 months of your residency visa being granted or
For returning residents, within 6 months of your last return to Vanuatu.
What goods are permitted?
1. All personal and household effects which have been in the possession of and available for use by the owner for at least 12 months immediately prior to your departure to Vanuatu.
2. One motor vehicle per family changing residence providing it has been owned and available for use for a period of at least 12 months immediately prior to your departure for Vanuatu. (right hand drive vehicles are prohibited to be imported into Vanuatu)
3. One power boat or sail boat on a trailer capable of being towed by a passenger motor vehicle on the condition it had been owned and available for use for at least 12 months immediately prior to your departure for Vanuatu.
4. Tobacco products, alcoholic spirits, wines, perfumes goods in commercial quantities, or goods of a commercial nature are excluded from the concession.
5. This concession can only be granted once.
What Goods are not Permitted?
A full list of prohibited and restricted goods is available under the Prohibited Imports tag in the “Travellers” section of this website.
However as a brief guide the following goods are either totally prohibited or require a permit to import:
• Obscene material which deals with sex, drug misuse, or crime.
• Offensive weapons which include knives with concealable blades and knuckle dusters.
• Live animals, including your family pets
• Right hand drive vehicles
If you are in any doubt as to the eligibility of the goods you intend to import please contact the Department of Customs and Inland Revenue in Vanuatu. Contact Us.