Information for Drivers License Holders
- Published: Thursday, 14 November 2013 15:00
Driver’s license can only be issued once the applicant has passed the driving test from the Vanuatu Police Traffic Section. A Certificate of Ability to Drive is then issued by the Section to the successful applicant.
- Successful applicants must submit the following documents before the drivers’ license card can be issued.
- The original copy of the learners license
- Certificate of ability to drive.
- Driver’s license fee: VT 5,000.
- Duration: 3 years
International driving license holders:
- Individuals with international drivers’ license are allowed to drive in Vanuatu for a period of 3months only.
- Individuals who plan on staying in the country for more than 3 months are required to get a Vanuatu driving license. Applications are to be lodged to the Vanuatu Police Traffic Section. If successful, a Certificate Ability to Drive is issued.
- Applicants must ensure that the international license is valid.
- If the license happens to be expired then the license holder would have to attach a medical certificate with the
application to the police.
- Successful applicants must submit the Certificate of Ability to Drive, at the Rates and Taxes office before the driving license card can be issued.
- Fee for the issue of the driving license card: VT 5,000.
Renewal of driving license:
All driving licenses must be renewed before the license expires.
- Every license holder MUST provide a valid medical certificate upon renewal.
- Medical certificates are valid for 6 months only.
- The license holder applying for a renewal MUST physically come down to the office to have his/her picture re-taken and sign on the card electronically.
- Renewal fee: VT 5, 000
Re-issue of driving license
Driving licenses can be re-issued for the following reasons;
- add/or remove category
- change of details such as name, DOB, or address
- Re-issue of license following a ban.
- Given that the license is still valid, the fee is VT 2,500.